District Safety Manager
Company: First Transit
Posted on: November 23, 2020
- Supervise and support Location Safety Managers to ensure
compliance and attainment of Safety KPIs.
- Analyzes data and provides direction for opportunities to
improve safety performance, improve quality of coaching and improve
driver scores for at risk behaviors.
- Supervise employees with safety and/or driver hiring or
training responsibilities (e.g., Safety Manager, Safety
Coordinator, Field Supervisor, Driver Trainers/Instructors).
Supervisory responsibility may range from providing work guidance
and leadership to full supervisory duties* such as hiring,
selecting and training; setting and adjusting rates of pay and work
hours; planning the work; directing tasks/activities; appraising
performance; handling employee complaints; recommending and
applying discipline; and monitoring legal compliance measures.
- Oversees driver hiring and compliance process (e.g.,
interviewing and driver selection; collecting applications;
criminal background checks; credit reports; drug/alcohol testing;
fingerprint checks; DOT physicals; TB Skin tests; motor vehicle
records checks; I-9 forms).
- Provides direction and guidance to location Safety Managers and
Trainers. Develops and monitors contents of classroom training to
ensure compliance. Teaches classes as required. Schedules and
conducts re-cert and re-training.
- Oversees and Audits incident, accident, and work-related
injuries investigations, accident reports, accident files, accident
register, and follows up with the claims office and adjusters as
necessary. Typically determines fault or preventability based on
the facts identified at the scene. Provides post-accident
counseling with drivers. Retrains drivers, Safety Supervisors,
Trainers and Managers as necessary.
- Prepares and submits accident-related compliance forms,
maintains files, and enters in DMO, or otherwise submits data to
appropriate person or organization.
- Plans, schedules and conducts monthly safety meetings based on
region and company safety and safety training goals and objectives.
Assists and participates in Safety Action Team meetings. Sets up
regular accident review committees to determine preventability of
accidents. Responds to appeals from drivers.
- Provides assistance and training to drivers and attendants on
passenger management and other safety related issues.
- Performs driver road checks of driver performance (e.g.,
pre-trip checks-lot-to-school and back; post-trip checks).
- Provides various reports and analyzes, including safety trends.
Develops cost saving recommendations. Performs other duties and
projects as assigned.
- Determines appropriate compliance and administrative
forms/requirements and manages the location's safety program based
on regulations and company policy.
- May modify and deliver safety and driver training, either
personally or through staff, based on company policy, region goals
and location needs.
- May provide work direction to Driver Trainers/Instructors.
- May hire drivers based on regulatory requirements, company
policy and driver interviews.
- May hire, train, and develop employees engaged in safety,
driver training and/or compliance processes. Experience & Skills
- 5+ years transportation, safety or related experience
- Knowledge of federal and state rules and regulations regarding
safety and environmental issues
- Computer literate with working knowledge of Word, Excel and
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks and manage time
- Good verbal, written and relational communication skills, with
ability to appropriately interact with employees of all levels
including drivers, customers, senior management, client
representatives, union officials and general public
- Fluent in English
- Demonstrate regular and consistent attendance and
- Ability to travel assigned location include NJ, DE and CT
- Possess working vehicle to travel with in service area as
needed FirstGroup is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, disability or veteran status.
Keywords: First Transit, Union , District Safety Manager, Executive , Union, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!