Department Manager- Cafe: Kean University Bookstore
Company: Barnes & Noble Education
Posted on: September 19, 2022
IntroductionBarnes & Noble College is a retail partner for
nearly 800 colleges and universities nationwide. We offer a retail
environment like no other uniquely focused on delivering essential
educational content, tools, and merchandise within a dynamic retail
environment on campuses of higher education. Our teams interact
directly with our customers including students, faculty,
administration, alumni, and the general public to provide
outstanding customer service to sell or rent books, general
merchandise, and an array of products and services for an academic
community.OverviewBarnes & Noble College is seeking a resourceful,
driven, adaptable, and customer-focused team member to work as a
Department Manager in the Cafe. In the Cafe you will lead and
direct booksellers within the cafe in the preparation of drinks and
food and in increasing customer loyalty and sales. You will be a
subject matter expert for your department, but also remain
knowledgeable of other operational areas to provide outstanding
customer service throughout the store.ResponsibilitiesAs a
Department Manager in the Cafe you will support all store
operations and departments in partnership with the management team.
You will manage daily activities of the cafe by leading and
training booksellers to service our customers; ensure the
availability, freshness, and quality of products; and drive sales
and promotions. You must be knowledgeable about cafe and store
operations, provide outstanding customer service; enforce safe food
handling and loss prevention practices; and ensure the cleanliness
and maintenance of the cafe.Expectations:
- Spend the majority of your time in the cafe preparing
food/drinks, modeling exceptional customer service by greeting
customers, answering questions, recommending products and providing
daily support, direction, and guidance to booksellers.
- Assign work and provide focused direction to caf booksellers to
ensure the set up and restocking of displays, wrapping, labeling,
dating, and rotating food items for sale is executed daily.
- Resolve customer issues and complaints and escalating to senior
management when necessary.
- Maintain a safe and healthy work environment by following
cleaning, sanitation, and operational standards. Food handling or
safety certification may be required in some locations.
- Manage the inventory, stock, and rotation of perishable
- Operate equipment, troubleshoot breakdowns, maintain supplies
and perform preventive maintenance.
- Replenish customer service stations, order/receive supplies or
products, and take out trash.
- Assist with processing sales transactions and/or with training
booksellers to complete transactions.
- Conduct regular meetings with team to provide feedback on sales
and upcoming promotions.
- Full-time positions require availability to work at least 30
hours on a weekly basis year round. Schedules may be set or vary to
meet the needs of the store.Physical Demands:
- Frequent movement within the department and the store.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position for extended
- Frequent lifting.
- Occasional reaching, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and
climbing ladders.COVID-19 Considerations:Our stores comply with all
applicable federal, state and local requirements and/or
recommendations regarding social distancing and sanitizing. In
accordance with individual campus requirements, positions may
require confirmation of vaccination. The use of face masks
throughout the day and while on campus may also be expected or
- 2+ years experience in a retail service setting as a manager or
a graduate of the Best Seller Program.
- High school diploma/GED required.
- Previous food handling experience preferred.
- High-energy, friendly personality, with strong communication
skills to interact with a variety of people.
- Outstanding customer service skills to match customers to
products that meet their needs.
- Basic reading, writing and accounting skills required.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and problem solving
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings,
weekends, and holidays.EEO StatementBarnes & Noble College is an
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
committed to diversity in the workplace. Qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender
identity, disability or protected veteran status.Job Locations
US-NJ-UNIONID 2022-4260Category Cafe ManagementPosition Type
Keywords: Barnes & Noble Education, Union , Department Manager- Cafe: Kean University Bookstore, Hospitality & Tourism , Union, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!